Thursday, April 4, 2013

I Wear Your Granddad's Clothes I Look Incredible


For this post I'm going to bank on a lot of people having heard this song.




If you hadn't heard it yet well here you are. 

Why this song? Well the theme for this week will be first impressions.

What happened was when I heard this song I was in a car functioning on three hours of sleep and sipping on the misery cup. All I heard in between talking to my friend was 'I wear your granddad's clothes, I look incredible'. So I thought, 'This is why I don't listen to the radio anymore.'

Then, while looking for desperate excuses to avoid my thesis, I decided to watch the video for this song. Suddenly, it all changed. This song is hilarious, the subject matter might have deeper meaning if you're willing to look into it and frankly speaking that thrift shop swag is working. 

Life lesson, your first impression should not be your last. 

This isn't the only instance this year I've been forced to reconsider my past judgements. One of my closest friends is a guy, who in the first 15 mins of meeting, I dismissed as 'mean pushy dude'. We've been good friends for three years now, I tell him this story all the time. 

Here's another story: I met a group of people at UTSC. At first they seemed cool but I never hung out with them, just passing waves and such. Eventually, the waves stopped and that dance of awkward eye contact avoidance began. You know... that thing you do when you don't want to say hello because you think the other person won't care enough to acknowledge you so you do like an ostrich and bury your vision in a fictitious cloud of ignorance? Maybe that's just me. 

Then I had a terrible day at school and I decided to take a chance on these distant friends (5th circle of friends-twice removed), since all my regulars were too busy to hold me and Dr. Phil me through the day. Ever since that day I've spent every night at school with them doing the most fun, bizarre things and I don't regret a single minute.

Life lesson 2, approach passing judgement with care; you've usually got more to gain than lose. 

I can't speak for anyone but myself when I say this but I'm prone to making such errors. 

That isn't to say human beings aren't prone to be equally disappointing. I've had people cost other people thousands of dollars in damage due to mismanagement and lose competitions because of misplacing subs etc etc (student group problems). But as the British say, (or at least their war propaganda posters of the 30s), said, 'Keep Calm and Carry On'.

Bearing in mind if you set the bar too high you'll have a bunch of people flailing about then dropping into the ocean of inadequacy. 

That's all the preaching I have in me for this week. 
<3 Z. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice article. Wouldn't it be nice to know everyone inside-out on the first encounter? Anyways, hope you have a happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! Don't forget to join and FOLLOW our blog. :)