Monday, October 3, 2011

Kick off!


Hey everyone!

Welcome to the first ever blog post on UTSC’s new and refreshed student life blog, Pulse!
I feel like there should have been cheers, confetti and more of a celebration, but instead you get an introduction from me! Yay!

Hi, I’m Ranziba! Microsoft Word likes to underline my name with red zigzags, but I prefer to underline my life with happiness. I’m your typical everyday girl (who loves books, cats, accents and exclamation marks) looking to share my experiences at this crazy (sometimes draining, but always interesting) whirlwind we call university life. I’ll be starting off your week every week with blog posts, hoping to take away your case of Monday morning blues better than a cup of coffee (yeah, it’s a throwdown).

The people over at Department of Student Life (DSL) were kind enough to set this whole thing up and let me – me! – share my voice with you all. But don’t worry, every day of the week you’ll have the opportunity to hear other cool bloggers voice talking about what interests them – and hopefully what interests you too! We’re hoping that with your help this blog will become our very own awesome student online community.  

So let’s get this thing on its feet – literally!

How many pairs of shoes do you own? If you’re like me, you have your everyday comfy shoes, your “we-live-in-Canada-so-we-better-dress-like-it” winter boots and your prized party shoes. Well, on Thursday night at the annual Boat Cruise: All Hands on Deck, my formerly-loved heels from hell gave me a kick in the butt and left me wanting to abandon the third category all together!

The night started off with everyone in finest form. Ready to dance, dine and dressed to impress from their head to their toes. I, like many ladies, wore my highest, most liable-to-break-your-ankle shoes in preparation to dance the night away. And before I knew it, I had joined the masses limping back to the buses, shoes in hand, grimace of pain on my face.

What started as the crowning jewel of my outfit had, by the end of the night, turned into the reason for my numb and bleeding toes. The next morning, as I tried to revive my poor feet, I wondered WHY DOES ANYONE DO THIS!? I knew that my 5-inch stilettos would become the source of my bleeding toes. Turn from sole-mate to enemy, if you will. So why did I do it? In fact, if beauty is pain, why does anyone go through it?

Heels from hell!

Now, before I go any further, I have to say that I feel like when it comes to orthotic problem-inducing footwear, guys get an unfair advantage. But they’re exactly on par when it comes to their consciousness of “sneaker swag”. You and I both know of those characters that never actually wear the shoes they love, take pictures of their sneaker collection (and post it on Facebook) and collect more swishes and pumas than dates.

So, even if guys don’t feel the pain directly, their wallets (and social lives) sure do! And what’s more, this phenomenon isn’t just limited to pricey podiatric possessions!
There is definitely a select population here at UTSC that dress in high heels, mini-skirts and matching tops.  Or conversely, those who cloak themselves in brand names, gym bags and excessive cologne. Fashion Friday, everyday, ain’t that the truth.

But don’t get me wrong! I admire those girls that dress like diva’s every day! And I really admire the eye-candy that struts around in a fine cut suit because “they had a business presentation due” (if I had a dime…). So maybe York shouldn’t be the only school known for its fashionable students.
But I still can’t pretend to be a part of this movement. I think Drake aptly summarizes my university look after the first week: “sweatpants, hair tied, chillin’ with no makeup on.”  So then how do these girls and boys work this focus-on-fashion into their daily university life?

As I sat there, trying to revive my feet, I had a blistering illumination. Shoes are that essential item that adds a spark to your outfit, to your night. In fact, looking good can sometimes help you feel good. After effects aside, in the moment, when you’re dressed to impress towering over everyone, heady with the height and the feeling that you look fabulous, your night will always take a turn for the better. And what are a few blisters afterward, right?

They say after every hardship there is ease, and this may be the Advil talking, but I’m inclined to agree! So, while I’ll stick to my low-key dress sense, I see the point.
In fact, my epiphany courtesy of the straps on my glossy patent leather peep-toe pumps has convinced me to update more than just my choice of footwear throughout the year. I’m going to go for an outfit and an attitude overhaul this year.

Grammatical inconsistencies aside: you dress good, you feel good. So even though every time I’m slipping on those beautiful but dangerous heels, I’m in the business of keeping Dr. Scholl’s in business, I’m doing it because I know I feel good – at least in the present.

And isn’t that really the thing? Live like you're dying, dress like you're living, or something like that. I think Paolo Nutini sang it better in “New Shoes”:

Hey, I put some new shoes on,
and suddenly everything is right,
I said, hey, I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling,
it so inviting,
Oh, short on money,
but long on time,
slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine,
and i'm running late,
and i don't need an excuse,
'cause i'm wearing my brand new shoes.

And of course for those who have no qualms about wearing that perfect piece of footwear, this might be the jam for you:

Walk it Out - UNK

Until next week, later days!

PS. Did this blog entry kick-start your interest in following along? You can find us everywhere you look (dun dun dun), check out our: Twitter, Facebook, and Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! Don't forget to join and FOLLOW our blog. :)